Friday, December 29, 2017

The Road to AdeptiCon - Warhammer 40k Genestealer Cult


In my previous article I took a look at what I was painting for the Age of Sigmar team tournament at AdeptiCon. I finished ten brutes and three gore gruntas, so now I'm switching a bit and painting some Genestealer Cult models.

I'm taking part in only one 40k event, and its a small one - the 40k Combat Patrol on Saturday. This is just 450 points with limited availability of vehicles etc. I'm looking at using this:

+++ 450 Point Combat Patrol GSC  [34 PL, 446pts] +++
++ Patrol Detachment (Tyranids - Genestealer Cults) ++
+ Dedicated Transport +

Goliath Truck: Cache of Demolition Charges, Heavy Stubber, Twin Autocannon
+ HQ +
Magister Balventius - Magus: Power: Mass Hypnosis
+ Troops +
Acolyte Hybrids: 16x Acolyte Hybrid
. Acolyte Leader: Lash Whip and Bonesword
Neophyte Hybrids
. 7x Neophyte Hybrid
. Neophyte Hybrid (Special Weapon): Grenade Launcher
. Neophyte Hybrid (Special Weapon): Grenade Launcher
. Neophyte Leader: Autogun, Autopistol
Created with BattleScribe (https://battlescribe.net)
It isn't much to push around, and it is definitely a one trick pony. The neophytes will ride up in a truck while the acolytes ambush and do their best to take apart a target. If the ambush doesn't go well it might be game over. I'm not sure about it yet - I may change it up.


I painted the acolytes, so for now I just have to paint the truck. You can see the acolytes in this photo above on the left. I used them in their first game this past weekend. They're pretty cool - tons of attacks with a high AP if you roll a six. They can reliably ambush well with a primus attached as well. They are a little expensive, points-wise, but hopefully that will change with a new codex.


I have a bunch of neophytes painted and ready to go as well. I likely won't be using any heavy weapons in the combat patrol, mostly just relying on them to throw demolition charges from the truck when they get close. Otherwise, I'm not really sure what to do with these guys other than sit on objectives. Their shooting is OK but mostly they're just bodies.

+++ 1500 pts vs dick (Warhammer 40,000 8th Edition) [100 PL, 2007pts] +++
++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Tyranids - Genestealer Cults) ++
+ Dedicated Transport +

Goliath Truck: Cache of Demolition Charges, Heavy Stubber, Twin Autocannon
+ Heavy Support +
Goliath Rockgrinder: Cache of Demolition Charges, Heavy Seismic Cannon, Heavy Stubber
+ HQ +
Councilman Zell - Primus: Bonesword, Warlord, Warlord Trait: Focus of Adoration
Magister Balventius - Magus: Familiar, Power: Might From Beyond

+ Elites +
Aberrants
. Aberrant: Power Hammer
. Aberrant: Power Hammer
. Aberrant: Power Hammer
. Aberrant: Power Hammer
Purestrain Genestealers: 10x Purestrain Genestealer, 10x Purestrain Talons
Purestrain Genestealers: 10x Purestrain Genestealer, 10x Purestrain Talons

+ Fast Attack +
Cult Scout Sentinels
. Cult Scout Sentinel: Heavy Flamer
Cult Scout Sentinels
. Cult Scout Sentinel: Heavy Flamer
+ Troops +
Acolyte Hybrids: Cult Icon
. 5x Acolyte Hybrid
. Acolyte Hybrid (Heavy Weapon): Autopistol, Heavy Rock Cutter
. Acolyte Hybrid (Heavy Weapon): Autopistol, Heavy Rock Drill
. Acolyte Hybrid (Heavy Weapon): Autopistol, Demolition Charges
. Acolyte Hybrid (Heavy Weapon): Autopistol, Heavy Rock Cutter
. Acolyte Leader: Autopistol, Cultist Knife
Acolyte Hybrids: Cult Icon
. 5x Acolyte Hybrid
. Acolyte Hybrid (Heavy Weapon): Autopistol, Heavy Rock Saw
. Acolyte Hybrid (Heavy Weapon): Autopistol, Heavy Rock Saw
. Acolyte Hybrid (Heavy Weapon): Autopistol, Demolition Charges
. Acolyte Hybrid (Heavy Weapon): Autopistol, Heavy Rock Cutter
. Acolyte Leader: Autopistol, Cultist Knife
Neophyte Hybrids: Cult Icon
. 5x Neophyte Hybrid
. Neophyte Hybrid (Heavy Weapon): Mining Laser
. Neophyte Hybrid (Heavy Weapon): Seismic Cannon
. Neophyte Hybrid (Special Weapon): Grenade Launcher
. Neophyte Hybrid (Special Weapon): Grenade Launcher
. Neophyte Leader: Autopistol, Power Pick
++ Spearhead Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Astra Militarum) ++
+ Heavy Support +

Cyclops Demolition Vehicle: Cyclops
Cyclops Demolition Vehicle: Cyclops
Leman Russ Battle Tanks

. Leman Russ Vanquisher: Lascannon, Multi-meltas, Turret-mounted Vanquisher Battle Cannon
+ HQ +
Tank Commander: Heavy Bolter, Heavy Bolters, Heavy Stubber, Kurov's Aquila
. Command Punisher: Turret-mounted Punisher Gatling Cannon
Created with BattleScribe (https://battlescribe.net)
This is my 100 Power Level list that I'm using in a friendly against a fellow goon Dick S. Mostly I'm just using more stuff I am painting - more acolytes, the truck, demolition vehicles, and another Leman Russ. I could probably splash in some more hard-hitting Astra Militarum stuff, but I wanted to try out using GSC stuff.


You can see here our last game - Tyranids and GSC vs Blood Angels. We played a unique scenario from Shield of Baal that was fixed for 8th Edition. The new Leman Russ rules are amazing; they cost a ton of points but they shoot twice if they move half their move or less. With a tank commander it'll be pretty great.


An extremely 40k thing happened during our game - the Librarian dreadnought flew across the field to attack my tank. As he was charging, my Leman Russ overwatched and hit with a multi-melta with a six, then damaged him, then rolled a six for the amount of damage! Then the Librarian dread did 16 damage to my tank, it exploded and did three mortal wounds to the dread, killing it!


I have one Rockgrinder painted and will have a goliath truck painted as well for AdeptiCon. They're great models - one of my favorite GW ones. The Aberrants here got out of the Rockrinder, did a bit of damage to the razorback, then got annihilated by shooting and melee from an assault squad =/

I'm really excited to finally get these guys painted. I'm prepared for a lot of disappointment - my efforts so far in 8th Edition with GSC have been pretty one sided (for my opponent). I don't really care if I win that much, but I'd really like close games. Hopefully I get them!

No comments:

Post a Comment