Friday, January 3, 2014

First Fantasy Friday of 2014 - Planning for Adepticon


Hey all, welcome to 2014 and new beginnings. I am going to be posting up more Fantasy Fridays as we approach Adepticon as I have signed up for the Big Brawl. I'm extremely pumped to get my Beastmen all painted and on the table for three games with three thousand points. I am not a very competitive fantasy player at all but I'd just like to get some games in and have some fun yelling and throwing poop on humans.

Right now I'm focusing on painting regiments. I have the characters all done, so I just need the big blocks of troops done. I really love the look of huge hordes of infantry all painted - there is nothing that looks as cool in any wargame. However, it can take a while and it can be very boring. The dudes you're painting are six point victims, basically, so it is hard to get inspired. I am rewarding myself by painting each color on each regiment (40 beasts) and then painting a Skorne model.



Here is the roster I'll be using. Most of these models are included in my GLWL list as well. Models with a * are painted.

3000 Pts - Beastmen Roster
*Beastlord (1#, 233 pts)
   1 Beastlord, 233 pts (General; Primal Fury; Hand Weapon; Shield)
      1 Armour of Destiny      1 Crown of Command
*Great Bray-Shaman (1#, 280 pts)
   1 Great Bray-Shaman, 280 pts (Primal Fury; Level 4 Upgrade; Hand Weapon)
      1 Talisman of Preservation      1 The Lore of Shadow
*Great Bray-Shaman (1#, 235 pts)
   1 Great Bray-Shaman, 235 pts (Primal Fury; Level 4 Upgrade; Hand Weapon)
      1 The Lore of Death
*Bray-Shaman (1#, 125 pts)
   1 Bray-Shaman, 125 pts (Primal Fury; Hand Weapon)
      1 Dispel Scroll      1 Ruby Ring of Ruin         1 0. Fireball      1 The Lore of Beasts
Bray-Shaman (1#, 125 pts)
   1 Bray-Shaman, 125 pts (Primal Fury; Hand Weapon)
      1 Shard of the Herdstone      1 The Lore of Shadow
*Wargor (1#, 206 pts)
   1 Wargor (Battle Standard Bearer), 206 pts (Primal Fury; Hand Weapon; Heavy Armour; Shield; Battle Standard Bearer)
      1 Gnarled Hide      1 The Beast Banner
*Gor Herd (40#, 345 pts)
   39 Gor Herd, 345 pts (Ambush; Primal Fury; Musician Mus; Standard Bearer Std; Hand Weapon; Extra Hand Weapon)
      1 Foe-Render (Hand Weapon; Extra Hand Weapon)
Ungor Herd (40#, 215 pts)
   39 Ungor Herd, 215 pts (Ambush; Primal Fury; Musician Mus; Standard Bearer Std; Hand Weapon; Shield)
      1 Halfhorn (Hand Weapon; Shield)
Tuskgor Chariot (1#, 80 pts)
   1 Tuskgor Chariot, 80 pts (Primal Fury; Chariot; Swiftstride)
      1 Gor Driver (Spear)
      1 Bestigor Warrior (Always Strikes Last; Great Weapon)
      2 Tuskgor
Tuskgor Chariot (1#, 80 pts)
   1 Tuskgor Chariot, 80 pts (Primal Fury; Chariot; Swiftstride)
      1 Gor Driver (Spear)
      1 Bestigor Warrior (Always Strikes Last; Great Weapon)
      2 Tuskgor
Ungor Raiders (10#, 60 pts)
   10 Ungor Raiders, 60 pts (Ambush; Primal Fury; Hand Weapon; Short Bow; Skirmishers; Volley Fire)
Bestigor Herd (40#, 520 pts)
   39 Bestigor Herd, 520 pts (Always Strikes Last; Primal Fury; Musician Mus; Standard Bearer Std; Great Weapon; Heavy Armour)
      1 Gouge-Horn (Always Strikes Last; Hand Weapon; Great Weapon; Heavy Armour)
      1 Banner of Eternal Flame
*Minotaurs (6#, 384 pts)
   6 Minotaurs, 384 pts (Musician Mus; Standard Bearer Std; Hand Weapon; Extra Hand Weapon; Light Armour; Causes Fear; Stomp)
Razorgor Herd (1#, 55 pts)
   1 Razorgor Herd, 55 pts (Causes Fear; Stomp; Swiftstride)
Razorgor Herd (1#, 55 pts)
   1 Razorgor Herd, 55 pts (Causes Fear; Stomp; Swiftstride)
Total Roster Cost: 2998
Created with Army Builder® - Try it for free at http://www.wolflair.com
The general idea is to press forward with as many bodies as possible. I have a ghorgon painted and I'm thinking about taking two but they're so easy to kill... it is rough. The bestigors and minotaurs will tear things up while the gors are tough and great in combat. The ungors are just bodies, basically.

The razorgors and chariots will hopefully shoot out and kill as much as possible. I've had them die to stand and shoot so it'll be hard but they're not a huge point sink and the chariots are core. Rhellion advised me to bring as much magic as possible as with 3000 points some of the power armies will have some really powerful stuff.

To that end I took four shamans. Two great brays to sling shadow and death magic and two level ones to sling Wyssan's and the Shadow signature spell. My army is lead by a beastlord with the stubborn crown and the '206 bsb' who try to keep the army together and fighting strong. It is possible that I will have too many bodies to project my 12" leadership bubble; for that reason I may take out a huge block and put in a rare beast.

The general will likely sit in the bestigors and the BSB will likely sit in the gors to give them +1str so they're S4, WS4, T4.


I purchased a display board from Dreamspirit Wargaming. They're a terrain company in Serbia who makes terrain and display boards. They did the terrain for the ETC. I really like their stuff and they put a lot of time into it. They have a YouTube channel here. I could have made it myself (not to that quality) but I really liked the trenches they made for me for WMH so I chose to go this route. If you're interested in some awesome centerpiece terrain give Milos an email.





I managed to finish my gor horde in time for Foodhammer. This is a regiment of forty gors who all have two hand weapons. I tried to give them as much color as possible since I am speed painting them and then dipping; I wanted them to pop a bit even with the dip. To that end I gave them three different colors of loincloth and blue face paint. Most guys got a log or grass on their base to dress it up a bit.

I really, really, really love the magnetic bases by Gale Force 9. It makes WHFB so much easier to play. The dudes don't bounce a round a ton and mostly stay in their spots. I'm a huge fan of the GW sculpts; they evoke a lot of the anger at humanity that you read in the fluff. These guys are ready for war.






I'm working on my next herd of forty ungor. These guys as I said above are victims; they have basic human stats but leadership six. They have a hand weapon and shield because giving them a spear makes them cost too many points.




Again I'm trying to make them pop a bit with bright colors. I love this dude's face. He looks so sad to be a beastman.

Check back next Friday for more progress on the road to Adepticon!


No comments:

Post a Comment