Thursday, April 4, 2013

Thornwood Thursday - Morvahna the Dawnshadow


When I was considering which Hordes army to start I happened across a preview picture of Circle Orboros' upcoming warlock, Morvahna the Dawnshadow.  I really liked the look of the model and was intrigued by using a light cavalry warlock.  Knowing I would eventually get the model regardless of rules, I began my Circle collection with the two player starter and picked up more models during a Journeyman league. Epic Morvahna's rules and model were released recently with the Gargantuan book and most reviews have now placed her as Circle's most competitive caster. Even though I still have some Adepticon projects to finish up, I cleared my hobby schedule to work on getting the model painted up for the current Machinations League.


The all metal model fit together nicely with only a little bit of green stuff needed for the joints and base. She comes on a custom base that includes a rocky outcropping. I added a bit more rocks on the base and kept her off the mount for ease of painting.


I tried to duplicate the studio paint scheme to the best of my ability.   I am particularly happy with the color scheme for the mount came out.   The blending came out very well on the fur color transition areas.


I think I used all my shades of green for this model.   I used a black wash in the recessed areas of her cloak and skirt.   I continued my use of Secret Weapon Miniature leaf litter for the basing.


At some point in the future I might try some freehand symbols on the cloak similar to the studio model.   But at this point I think the model looks finished enough for now.


She definitely is fun to play and has very forgiving game mechanics with her Scales of Fate ability. It allows any friendly models in her control area re-rolls to hit and damage dice while causing some damage to Morvahna.   I have played eight games with her already and only lost twice.   She does seem pretty good in one list format events as well.   Coming from Retribution, it is a bit strange to play a warlock that causes bad match ups for my opponents.   Here's the 50 point list I have been running with quite a bit of success so far.

Morvahna the Dawnshadow
   Druid Wilder
   Feral Warpwolf
   Gorax
   Pureblood Warpwolf
Gallows Grove
Gallows Grove
Blackclad Wayfarer
Lord of the Feast
Druids of Orboros
    Druid of Orboros Overseer
Shifting Stones
    Stone Keeper
Warpborn Skinwalkers
    Warpborn Alpha

It is a little different than some of the lists I have seen on the forums.   In particular, I like running the druids with her for their versatility.   The Skinwalkers work great with her, but I probably need a different unit for her to target with her Carnivore Spell.   The spell triggers a remove from play effect which stops the Skinwalkers from using their blood drinker ability.   I can't wait to paint up the Skinwalkers, they are such a cool looking unit.   But it will probably wait until after Adepticon.

Thanks for viewing!



3 comments:

  1. Most reviews have now placed her as a top 5 caster/lock!

    Nice paint scheme. She looks a lot nicer than the fluff makes her sound.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You never really know a woman until you learn her fluff...

      Delete
  2. Those blends are legit man. I also really like the base.

    ReplyDelete