Monday, August 20, 2012

Product Highlight - Asphyxious the Hellbringer & Vociferon


Our latest product highlight features the fantastic-looking Asphyxious the Hellbringer (aka Gaspy3) and his lil' buddy Vociferon. This post features a paintjob by PaintVagrant aka Brian B., Admin of the Muse on Mini forums, friend of FC40k, and the best painter I know. Super awesome paintjob and details about Gaspy3 after the jump!




 As you can see, Brian knows how to handle a paintbrush! He mentioned that this is possibly his favorite Warmachine model to date, and it shows. You can always tell when the painter really likes a model. I can certainly tell on things like my Dire Troll Bomber, or my Bray'Arth Ashmantle.

How does Gaspy3 play? Well I admit I'm no Cryx player, so I'll crib from Battle College:

He can increase your chance to hit and he can increase damage output, he has an offensive dispel, can make his battlegroup move faster and can give a unit some protection. With his abilities to pick up souls and therefore extra focus he'll be able to do a lot of those things in the same turn. He's a toolbox caster rather than a control caster and that's going to throw a lot of cryx players off but he's very playable and as a bonus is unlikely to produce the negative play experiences Cryx are famous for. He'll still be difficult to beat but your opponent won't hate you for playing him. He's not going to be running a great deal of jacks as he is in Cryx and his spells are geared more towards infantry.
His little buddy Vociferon was custom made by Gaspy to increase his arcane potential. He can act as an arc node, extend Gaspy's effective range for allocating focus, and collects souls that he can then pass on to Gaspy to use. All in all Gaspy3 represents the new style of casters coming out lately- lots of cool tricks and toolbox things to use, but nothing "broken" by being way too good or way too underpowered.

Thoughts from Brian regarding how Gaspy3 plays:

Played some games with him tonight, up to about 8? or so games with him. As far as I can remember, I'm 7-1. Not that I'm bragging about my record, but there's something about his playstyle that really clicks with me so far.

Ashen Veiled Satyxis Raiders are pretty incredible. Carnage really helps out mechthralls and raiders, which are the 2 units I ran tonight.

My list was:

Points: 50/50
Asphyxious the Hellbringer (*4pts)
* Cankerworm (5pts)
* Deathjack (12pts)
* Malice (9pts)
Mechanithralls (Leader and 9 Grunts) (5pts)
Necrosurgeon & 3 Stitch Thralls (2pts)
Satyxis Raiders (Leader and 9 Grunts) (8pts)
* Satyxis Raider Sea Witch (2pts)
Necrotech & 1 Scrap Thrall (1pts)
Pistol Wraith (3pts)
Pistol Wraith (3pts)
Warwitch Siren (2pts)
Warwitch Siren (2pts)


I think after some playtime, Malice feels redundant. He's a threat range extender with a caster that has mobility. He's also expensive and has very little melee output overall. So he's getting the axe. Not sure what I will replace him with though.

Pistol Wraiths as usual are all-stars. WWS are always amazing, even if I run out of jacks their sprays are worth their 2 points alone.

Generally speaking, if I get first turn, I can get DJ, the raiders, and canker WAY up the table with mobility. I had DJ 28" from my table edge today at the top of 1. There was a wall on my opponent's side of the table that I ran him to. Although it ultimately got DJ killed, it slowed up their advance so much that it enabled me to win on scenario pretty easily against an Ossyan gunline.

Gaspy gets way up the field as well on his feat turn, which is usually turn 2 or 3 depending on how the battle lines are forming. I camp 3+ focus, usually ashen veil myself (not always) and feat. I try to block charge lanes a bit with my models/terrain and make it look tempting to kill my Gaspy...but not easy. I usually net about 3-4 souls vs Warmachine, and 6+ against Hordes. I have yet to have him assassinated. My one loss so far was on scenario to Cassius, who dominates middle scenarios.

After the feat turn, that extra focus ends up allowing me to scrap a heavy or finish off a unit or something and still have a really nice camp. Gaspy3 is a monster in the late game, and that's usually when he has to be because his army is usually in shambles by then.

I like him against Hordes better than Warmachine typically, because of the feat and because ashen veil works better against all living enemies. Hordes also just has a harder time with high armor casters and lacks tools to remove camp (usually). But I wouldn't say he has a bad match up against Warmachine, although I'm a bit leery of the Menoth matchup. 

Brian plays in the boiler room that is the Detroit meta, where some of the best players in the world are based. So he definitely has had a strong upbringing in WarmaHordes. We appreciate your thoughts on Gaspy. Thanks Brian!

Gaspy3 is available for purchase at Gamers Sanctuary, where models are always 25% off. Keep in mind Gamers Sanctuary happily ships to wherever you are. Check out the site for a lot of other great deals!

No comments:

Post a Comment