Monday, September 15, 2014

Regiments of Renown Month - Cylena Raefyll & Nyss Hunters


For RoR month I decided to add a character unit to my Warmachine/Hordes collection.   I picked up the Cylena Raefyll & Nyss Hunters mercenaries/minions box.    As mercenaries they can work for Cryx, Cygnar, Khador, and the Retribution of Scyrah.   They also count as a minions unit that can join up with Trollbloods and most importantly for me, Circle Orboros.    Fluffwise, the Nyss are related to Iosans Elves.   Their homeland has been overrun by Everblight and they make a living as warriors for hire.   The models themselves are NOT the best looking sculpts Privateer Press makes.   They are full pewter models with lots of small parts and generally considered by many a royal pain to assemble.    My work in progress after the jump.


I have been playing my Circle a lot lately and wanted to add another shooting element to my list options.  Within the faction, Circle players typically take one or two units of Woldstalkers.   I personally hate the look of the models nicknamed the Woldshrimp.   Fortunately, Circle (and my Retribution) have access to mercenaries and Nyss Hunters are generally considered one of the best options.    Their stat line is impressive and you get a full unit of ten models for a point a piece.   Cylena herself grants the unit Combined Range Attack.


The metal models required a bit of cleanup work before assembly.   For the basing, I have been using the various Secret Weapon miniature resin rounded-lip options for most of my Circle army.


I spent the time drilling and pinning them to the base.    The arms and weapons were a bit too small though and I didn't have the patience for all that drilling.   I did use green stuff where I could to fill the gaps and strengthen the joints.


After assembly, I primed the models with Grey Krylon primer.


I then did a base layer of black (Grex Private Stock) with my airbrush followed up by two layers of PP Coal Black.   I liked the blue tint that is in the stock color scheme.


After airbrushing, I painted up a test model to see how they will turn out.   I tend to try and copy the studio schemes and I am happy with how this model looks.  

I am hoping to get these models finished before the upcoming Michigan Cup.   I figure they will work will with eKruger, Cassius (hunter rocks!), or even Mohsar.    Thanks for reading!

3 comments:

  1. That looks awesome! I couldn't stand putting these guys together. They need to be plastic IMO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also what are the synergies with the specific casters?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have more on that with the next post hopefully. Though Hunter is good for Circle as they have multiple ways of generating forests.

      Delete