Friday, December 14, 2012

Fantasy Friday - Year in Review / Core GLWL List

image from http://whfm.blogspot.com/
It has been a fun year of Warhammer Fantasy Battles and I am looking forward to more next year.  Unlike Michael with his army ADD, I continued building my Dark Elf army and expanded it.   I played in a few tournaments over the year and my game play has definitely improved.  Next year is coming up quick and I am really looking forward to my first year in the Great Lakes Warhammer League.    I got a lot of painting done in 2012, but I still have a lot of unpainted models left.   I am looking forward to getting everything painted in 2013.   With luck, there may be a new Dark Elf army book later in the year as well.

It is a bit harder to find Fantasy players for pick up games compared to 40k or even Warmachine/Hordes.   However, turnout at Gamer's Sanctuary's monthly tournaments has been steady.   There were a few Fantasy players at Foodhammer and I got a couple of games in there.   Some of the painting I did over the year included Black Guard, Cold One Knights, and Morathi.   But my favorite model I painted this year is my dragon mount for my Dreadlord.


The center piece models, like my Hag with BSB, get extra attention to detail compared to the core units.   I plan on getting some assembly line painting done on the rank and file soon.   Competitively, the Dark Elf army book still holds up well even though it was last redone in 7th edition.   Even people who do not play Dark Elves are familiar with the standard "must bring" units and builds.

The GLWL games are at 2500 which is what I mostly play.   I just submitted the 1500 point "core" list that is part of the GLWL requirement.   The comp restrictions for the GLWL are not too bad, but the "rares" slot is limited, so only one Hydra for me.

Here's my 1500 "fixed" point list.   I included my newly painted general to lead the way.

Highborn (Dreadlady Aduialeth)
   1 Dreadlord, (General; Hand Weapon; Heavy Armour; Sea Dragon Cloak; Shield; Eternal Hatred)
      1 Cold One (Thick-skinned; Causes Fear; Immune to Psychology; Stupid)
      1 Whip of Agony
      1 Pendant of Khaeleth
      1 Crown of Command

High Sorceress
   1 Supreme Sorceress, (Druchii Sorcery; Level 4 Upgrade; Hand Weapon; Eternal Hatred)
      1 Sacrificial Dagger
      1 The Lore of Shadow
      1 0. Power of Darkness

Hag Queen
   1 Death Hag (Battle Standard Bearer),  (Beserk Rage; Khainite; Hand Weapon; Extra Hand Weapon; Battle Standard Bearer; Eternal Hatred; Extra Attack; Frenzy; Poisoned Attacks)
      1 Cauldron of Blood (Altar of Khaine; Attendents; Beserk Rage; Blessings of Khaine; Khainite; War Machine; Causes Terror; Eternal Hatred; Frenzy; Magic Resistance (1))
         2 Hags (Beserk Rage; Khainite; Hand Weapon; Extra Hand Weapon; Eternal Hatred; Extra Attack; Frenzy; Poisoned Attacks)
      1 Manbane

Harpy Coven
   5 Harpies, (Beasts; Flyer)

Warriors
   23 Dark Elf Warriors, (Musician; Standard Bearer Std; Hand Weapon; Spear; Light Armour; Shield; Eternal Hatred)
      1 Lordling (Hand Weapon; Spear; Light Armour; Shield; Eternal Hatred)

Repeater Crossbowmen
   20 Dark Elf Repeater Crossbowmen, (Musician; Hand Weapon; Repeater Crossbow; Light Armour; Shield; Eternal Hatred)

Repeater Crossbowmen
   20 Dark Elf Repeater Crossbowmen, (Musician; Hand Weapon; Repeater Crossbow; Light Armour; Shield; Eternal Hatred)

So nothing too out of the ordinary for Dark Elves.    The unkillable Dreadlord is still annoying to people and the level 4 Sorceress with Shadow is pretty standard stuff.   I splurged a bit with the BSB and Cauldron, but I think it is a great place to keep it safe in a unit that gives out decent buffs.

I cannot wait to play.   I am looking forward most to fighting Cerberus' Lizardmen as I have yet to face them ever.

2 comments:

  1. Solid fixed list. For me the most important thing of the fixed list for the GLWL is giving yourself flexibility in the remaining 1000 points, and I think you have done a good job with that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once I get another 1000 points of Lizardmen, I'll throw down with you any time! I can only do about 1500 as it is now.

    ReplyDelete