Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Warmachine Tournament Report - Gamers Sanctuary Quick Tourney


Adam (tau4eva) and I played in a quick player-run tournament last night at Gamers Sanctuary, our usual stomping ground. There were no scenarios, just straight up run at each other and swing. It was pretty cool that way to learn what other armies can do; I haven't fought Cryx yet and I came up against GS regular Ray who is known for being very good at the game (and a great painter). I also got to fight Skorne, which I've never come up against before, and Tau4Eva.

My first game against Ray was tough. He brought Terminus and a ton of small Cryx things. I had a very small army and was outnumbered. I brought:

Points: 25/25
Kommander Strakhov (*6pts)
* Beast-09 (11pts)
* Spriggan (10pts)
Great Bears of Gallowswood (5pts)
Kayazy Assassins (Leader and 5 Grunts) (5pts)
A small number of models with no solos or attachments. Probably not a great idea, but Strakhov's feat pushes those jacks and Great Bears and Assassins in so fast. Once I have a Torch model he'll replace Spriggan in this list, and I'll probably take Yuri and a Manhunter next time instead of the Kayazy.

Ray basically beat me down. I killed a few models, so that was nice, but they were sacrifices. Terminus is NASTY.

Photos:

The Great Bears look over the field at their impending doom.

Terminus + a million models = sad panda.

Strakhov surveys the field from behind Beast 09 and Spriggan.
Here comes the pain train.
Game 2 was against Tau4Eva. We've played each others army a few times lately so I knew some of what to expect. Strakhov's feat doesn't work so well against this Ret list because he has spells that can deny my charges. In the end we both jammed the middle - I thought I was high and dry, then Captain Ron came through and force blasted Strakhov, then a Ret assassin thing ran through all my dudes and killed him. I should have made the assassin a priority the turn before but I didn't know it could do that. Fool me once!
The lineup
The last game was against another Adam, who played Skorne. I haven't played against them before. We both basically jammed up the middle. Strakhov got his feat to deliver most of the models in and I did some damage. He did a ton of damage to Spriggan. Time was called and we tied.

Big ole' mess
More big ole' mess
All in all it was a fun way to get in three games. It was also interesting to learn the timed turn mechanic and try to play it out. I did pretty well, but I had a low volume of models.

Other photos from around the store:


It is possible that I'll play in the Gamers Sanctuary 50 point Steamroller on August 20th. I'm super interested in it but I'm afraid because I don't have that many painted models (the unit / character restriction thingy). Not interested in 'Ard Boyz at all so this will be my tournament for the month.

Some photos of Beast 09 and Strakhov that I finished painting recently:

No comments:

Post a Comment