Friday, July 15, 2011

Battle Report - Tyranid Infestation

You can see my tyrannofex in the middle at the top

We put out the terrain... Bill plays Orks (and Salamanders) and I play Tyranids so we're both pretty fervently pro-cover, so we adhere to the rulebook guidelines of 25% of the board being covered by terrain. Most people will walk up and be like "Bro you got a lot of terrain on there!" but it is correct. We used a ton of buildings because that is what the store had at that moment on the shelf. None were LOS blocking really :(



My army list was as follows:

== HQ ==
Hive Tyrant (1) - Scything Talons, Scything Talons, AG, Wings, The Horror, Leech Essence, Old Adversary = 265 pts.

== Elites ==
Hive Guard Brood (2) = 100 pts.
Hive Guard Brood (2) = 100 pts.
Zoanthrope Brood (3) = 180 pts.

== Troops ==
Tervigon (1) - Stinger Salvo, AG, Toxin Sacs, Cat = 195 pts.
Termagant Brood (10) - Fleshborer = 50 pts.
Termagant Brood (10) - Fleshborer = 50 pts.
Tyranid Warrior Brood (5) - Devourer, Lash Whip And Bonesword = 225 pts.

== Fast Attack ==
Gargoyle Brood (20) - AG, Toxin Sacs = 160 pts.
Gargoyle Brood (20) - AG, Toxin Sacs = 160 pts.

== Heavy Support ==
Trygon Prime (1) - Containment Spines, AG, Synapse Creature, Shadow In The Warp = 250 pts.
Tyrannofex (1) - Rupture Cannon, Stinger Salvo, Thorax Swarm - Electroshock Grubs = 265 pts.

== Total ==
2000 pts.

Rhino lot, used rhinos for sale!
I was trying out the tyrannofex because I just built one. I totally forgot to deploy the zoanthropes so I was down 180 points, lol. My plan was to run up and shoot as much stuff with hive guard, zoanthropes, and the tyrannofex as possible. Tervigon + gants, warriors, and trygon / hive tyrant would clean up afterward. Gargoyles would provide cover and break things hopefully.


I deployed with my tyrannofex, warriors, one hive guard brood and some gants on the left flank. My hive tyrant, trygon prime, and some gargoyles were on the right flank, and the tervigon, gants, and gargoyles were in the center.



The tyrannofex was woefully misplaced (I took first turn). I shot and immobilized three rhinos in the first turn (zoanthropes would have helped here!). The tyrannofex moved up on the left and was engaged by bikes immediately. I got super lucky and he didn't die or break, in fact he won the combat and made the bikes run.


The tyrannofex in particular did "alright". He's 265 points with BS 3 and a non-template strength 10 gun. I think at some point I'll understand how to use him but I'm not sure if I'll convert another.



The monstrous creatures eventually made it to Bill's lines and just tore up dreads and rhinos. I was afraid of not being able to take down all 5 dreads but it worked out for me (especially tying them up with Gargoyles). I rolled a little bad at the end (he rolled badly at the beginning). The warriors were in a terrible spot (I was going to drop them in but forgot my mycetic spore) and took forever to go anywhere then finally got tied up by a dreadnought and destroyed.

Overall it was a fun battle - I won on kill points (ugh). Mech is still a tough thing for me to deal with, but with Bill boxed in like that it made it a LOT easier.

1 comment:

  1. Looked like fun game.

    I would like to try one of the Tau battle missions against one of you guys sometime.

    ReplyDelete