Friday, June 10, 2011

Warmachine Renaissance: Part 1



A number of factors have recently come together to cause what seems to be an explosion of Warmachine related activity on the 'nets. Blog after blog that I see has dedicated GW gamers getting into WM / Hordes or revitalizing their interest in it.

That explosion hasn't missed Mid-Michigan. I had picked up Warmachine (Khador) models in large quantities since about the early fall of last year; I was really interested in the huge 'jacks and really cool warcasters. I picked up a ton of stuff and only played it sparingly; I played in one tournament and actually went 2-1, almost winning my last game!

Recently Geneguard and I have been able to convince other gamers to join in and some of our Lapeer bros have started playing again. I'm going to highlight some of their answers to my interview questions and then post my own.

Adam (tau4eva) has played wargames for a long time, most recently playing a ton of 40k (Tau and BA), dabbling in fantasy (dark elves) and Blood Bowl. He is playing Retribution of Scyrah.
What got you into Warmachine?
Peer pressure... just kidding. Some of it is slight 40k burnout, but really I just love strategic games and painting models. It feels liberating to try something from another company.
What has been the biggest adjustment from 40K / Fantasy?
The smaller model count. Also, the fact that you have one model that needs to live if you plan on winning.
What do you think of the fluff and artwork?
Still warming up to the fluff. I like the artwork in the books. Little bit of a comic book look. Also, the full color pictures are nice compared to the b/w in most 40k codexes.
How about the price?
Some models seem to be higher for no reason, but over all not too bad.
Some of Adam's first few models
Are you using P3 paints (Privateer's brand)?
Mostly using GW paints/washes and some airbrush paint from Michaels.
What do you think about the models themselves? Packaging?
Well, they could do better with quality control. I have missing parts from two packages. I have heard the same from several people that have had the same thing. The models are good with a deceptive amount of detail.
What do you think about the rules?
I like they are using consistent terms throughout the rule book.
Where do you see it going from here?
I am hoping we keep to small games, < 50 pts. The skirmish aspect is most appealing to me compared to 40k/fantasy.





Brian (mealstorm) has also played wargames for years, most recently playing Necrons and BA / SW / GK. He is playing Cryx.
What got you into Warmachine?
I’ve been playing 40k almost every week for the last 10 months – 2 months of it running a club campaign with 14-22 players every week, I really needed a break. Several of my 40k buddies were talking about Warmachine and trying a new game system – less models, less complex rules and less cash up front to try it out.
I was intrigued but had a lot invested in 40k: Models, tables, terrain, transport cases, paints, airbrushes – you get the idea. At the same time we were discussing dipping a toe into the Warmachine pool - Games Workshop introduced their (less expensive to produce) plasticized resins models AND announced 10-30% price increases AND dropped their PR bomb about overseas pricing for my friends in Australia - it was the tipping point.
When it comes to trying to change big business mindset, vote with your wallet. I want my friends at Gamers Sanctuary to be around for a long time – they provide a great environment for a diverse crowd to come together with a common interest. So I took my wallet to the opposite wall of my Friendly Local Game Store (FLGS) and found it lined with Privateer Press models.

What has been the biggest adjustment from 40K / Fantasy?
Several adjustments were required: Warmachine rules are clear, simple, less complex (<60 pages total) and much less open to misinterpretation and upset players. Fewer models are required (less painting!) to have a force on the table.
I had great reservations when my friends told me that changing just 1 model in your army completely changed the way the army is played – but it really does! Less dice – I have yet to roll more than 4 dice for anything!!
I feel like a kid using the plastic covered game cards – but really enjoy having everything I need to know about a unit right in front of me on the table. If your opponent has a question about a new ability – you just hand them the card! What a concept!
One of Brian's first few models.
What do you think of the fluff and artwork?
The Artwork is exceptional and the fluff is well written - without diving in too deep. It’s refreshing to see a storyline that is actually progressing (vs. stagnant 40k)! The artwork for each model is a great starting place to get ideas for painting your force.
How about the price?
A Warmachine starter Battle Box = $35, a starter force for 40k = $110. I have one unit of 10 small metal models for 40k (Necron Pariahs) that cost over $140 – they were hit hard by the Nerf bat in 5th edition and are just about useless in my force (updated FAQ please?). Most Warmachine Jacks cost less than half of their counterparts in 40k. Only a Character Jack is close in price to a 40k Dreadnought – and you can only ever field one of a Character Jack.
In a vanilla 40k Space Marine army you can field 6 Dreadnoughts ($300) led by a Master of the Forge ($50) plus minimum troops ($70-$100) and troop transports ($35 each) and still be under in points. More extreme examples can be found in the Imperial Guard codex.
40k has quickly become Wallet-hammer to be competitive. With Warmachine I can spend less than $75 and double my original force – adding great variety to the play style. That would get you a single Land Raider in 40k.

Are you using P3 paints (Privateer's brand)?
I still have a ton of Citadel and craft paints to use up before I play around with P3 paints.

What do you think about the models themselves? Packaging?
I am surprised by how much character is in every Warmachine model. I love that EVERY model in Warmachine is “what you see is what you get” (WYSWYG). What is written on the card is what is shown on the model. With 40k I had to buy models and kits that I didn’t really want just to get the weapons I wanted to make a unit listed in a GW codex.Funny thing – I don’t have a Warmachine bits box!
Warmachine packaging is simple to open and inspect before buying. If the model has an out of date card with it – your FLGS has a huge box full of FREE replacement cards to update your purchase to bring it up to current specs. It was a surprise to find that some of the largest models are still all-metal. There is something about moving a nice beefy model around the table, ready to crush your opponent!
What do you think about the rules?
A repeat from above: Warmachine rules are clear, simple, less complex (<60 pages total) and much less open to misinterpretation.
Where do you see it going from here?
I’m enjoying Warmachine and have started collecting a diverse army (150 points and growing). I’m still getting my head wrapped around which Warcasters work best with which units and my play style – but my play style is already changing from the way I went after opponents in 40k.
I still have my 40K armies and will play the occasional pick-up game for fun with friends or join a carload to head to a 40k tournament. I now have more options for gaming with my friends. I might take a peek at 40k again when the new Necron Codex wanders out...

1 comment:

  1. I played my third game ever against Adam's Retribution a while back, and I learned the valuable lesson not to put your caster out in the open. Also, I was lukewarm on Warmachine for a long time, but I've finally embraced it. It's a good system, and I'm sticking with Sorscha as my primary caster for now. I'm thinking about going infantry heavy Khador.

    ReplyDelete