Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Warmachine Renaissance: Part 2

This post will continue the article I started here. I asked a couple newer Warmachine / Hordes players a few questions each as to why they're starting to play Warmachine right now. First we'll start with Paintvagrant (Brian).

What got you into Warmachine?
I'm sort of a game dabbler, so when Warmachine came out I played it briefly then got attracted by other, shinier toys. Over the last 3 years or so I have gotten much more into game-design, and been playing lots of boardgames as well. Warmachine's miniatures and play-style, and incredible overall strategic depth really attracted me. I tend to get bored with other games very easily, not so with wm/h.

What has been the biggest adjustment from 40K / Fantasy?
Order of operations is hugely important in Warmachine. While your opponent is playing their turn you also need to be planning your next turn and the order you will activate your models in. That's very different than 40k. Also, the "caster-kill" as a win-condition is obviously very different from 40k games.

What do you think of the fluff and artwork?
The fluff is pretty solid. I like the overarching history of the Warmachine world, although some of the fiction I find at time hokey or mediocre. It varies tremendously, but it's definitely good overall. Art-wise, I like the approach of having numerous art styles and designs, but some of the artists aren't my cup of tea. Others, like Carlos Cabrera, are incredible. Matt Wilson is a very good illustrator, I always enjoy his stuff.

How about the price?
Prices are fine, after playing 40k for years Warmachine feels relatively cheap.

Brian's Skorne army. Embiggned for beautifulness!

Are you using P3 paints (Privateer's brand)?
Yes, a lot of them. I use a mix of GW, Vallejo, and p3. Primarily p3.

What do you think about the models themselves? Packaging?
The ranges are large and vary. For the most part I like them, and I think that they tend to be more 3 dimensional than other miniature ranges. This makes them hard to photograph, and generally when I have a model in my hand I tend to like it much more than when I see it online. Packing is fine, I like that stat-cards are included.

What do you think about the rules?
The best written rules set in wargaming. It is not a system that sacrifices game design for fluff or narrative. It is designed to be a balanced, competitive game first and to tell a story second. Not the other way around.

Where do you see it going from here?
It is an adult's game, because the barrier to entry/learning curve can be high (there is a ton of factions and combos to learn) but as a company PP is doing everything right and their player-base continues to grow like crazy.

Our last two new Warmachine players are sons of Cygnar (and they're both educators! weird). Josh has played wargames for years and years and has recently started blogging for BOLS about Battletech. He also started his Solaris League at GS and has been playing Warmachine at the shop as well as with Phil.

What got you into Warmachine?
I wanted a change of pace from 40K. Warmachine's models, especially the Jacks, drew me in.

What has been the biggest adjustment from 40K / Fantasy?
The single minded nature of killing the Warcaster. I'm so used to the idea that killing Troops is most important, it was hard to adjust my tatics to killing a single model.

What do you think of the fluff and artwork?
I love the artwork and the fluff. Even the "Good Guys" aren't always that good. EVeryone has justification for fighting everyone else. I would like to see more ficion being written, a la the Black Library.

How about the price?
The price is great. A starrter set that is very playable for $40 and reasonable prices on their metal and plastic models make it very affordable. The fact that you don't need a lot of models to play also helps. However, it is the rlebooks that really steal the show; they are top notch in production and price. 

Are you using P3 paints (Privateer's brand)?
I haven't used P3 paints.

What do you think about the models themselves? Packaging?
I love the models. The Steam Punk setting makes for a very unique looking game. Compared to GW's newclamshell packages, the PP ones are a breeze to open. Packing the stat card in with each model is awesome. You don't need the faction books to play.

What do you think about the rules?
The rules are simple and easy to pick up, but difficult to master; just the way they should be. It makes for a potentially quick and brutal game.

Where do you see it going from here?
I can see myself adding to my 50 points of Cygnar throughout the summer. I can also see the game adding a more defined Campaign system. Not being much of a competative tournament player, I look for ways to make my games more "fluffy".
Bill (geneguard) is relatively new to Mid-Michigan and has been playing 40k for a number of years and a few other wargames. He is a contributor to this blog.

What got you into Warmachine?

My nerdbro Brian aka PaintVagrant's incessant nerding out on it, mostly. I had been interested for awhile but the scene was non-existent where I used to live, and I was a little put off by the whole "play like you have a pair" thing they used to push. I finally broke down and got a plastic Cygnar starter when they were available early at GenCon.


What has been the biggest adjustment from 40K / Fantasy?

Definitely getting used to order of activation, facing, that kind of thing. Also I have to get away from moving and treating units like I would in 40k. (Maintaining 2" coherency, that kind of thing.)

What do you think of the fluff and artwork?

It's a little hit and miss for me, but overall decent. I definitely like the art from Andrea Uderzo.

How about the price?

Individual models and so forth are very reasonably priced, but the bigger stuff like heavy jacks, cavalry, that kind of thing are definitely pricy. I try to buy used (from GS!) or do trades when I can though.

Are you using P3 paints (Privateer's brand)?

I use a few. Their blues, especially Arcane Blue, are fantastic. I'm a big fan of Menoth White Highlight as well. It's my go to 'off-white' color I used for making highlight mixes. I would love to GS to carry more of the range, as I love some of the color choices that other lines don't offer.

What do you think about the models themselves? Packaging?

The packaging is decent enough. Some of the older models are showing their age, for example older jacks. But the new stuff is good for the most part. One thing I've found is I often find myself not liking a model when I see it online, but in person it looks much better.

What do you think about the rules?

Coming from GW's more casual beer and pretzels style rules, it's a big shift. Well-written, tight rules that provide an actual competitive environment. That's nothing against GW, just two different mindsets at play with these rulesets.

Where do you see it going from here?

Your guess is as good as mine, but I'm very excited to see where it goes!



No comments:

Post a Comment